You are using an outdated browser. For a faster, safer browsing experience, upgrade for free today.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How long does it take to become a DSP? How long after I am certified as a DSP does it take before an individual may choose to live in my home?

    From the time your application is received, expect the development process to begin within 6-8 weeks. Once development begins, it usually takes a candidate 2 months to complete. These standard time frames assume that you don’t run into complications which will further extend your development process, E.T. failing tests during training and having to schedule re-takes, background check results considerations, etc. It is the “matching” process, where work to find the compatible DSP/Individual relationship before initiation services at your home, which takes the longest period of time (anywhere from 2-12 months, so the DSP candidate must be financially able to complete development and wait for services initiation.

  • Will a criminal conviction in my background prevent me from becoming a DSP or Residential Specialist?

    Possibly. Please see Screenable Crimes for DBHDS Direct Consumer Care Providers (Barrier Crimes) to determine whether your convection is a barrier crime per Department of Behavior Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) regulation which would disqualify you as a candidate. Most barrier crimes have no statute of limitations. In other words, no matter how old the conviction and no matter what rehabilitation you have undergone, barrier conviction in you your record (or members of your household’s records, if you are applying to be DSP) still prohibits you from certification as an HALOBHID DSP. There are no exception to this requirement. The term DSP applies to both Direct Support Profession and Backup

  • When will we receive our first payment?

    Payment for services is made to you after 30 days of you providing services. HALOBHID receives reimbursement from claims submitted on your behalf to third party. Payment will be issued the third week of each month.

  • Must each HALOBHID DSP have a driver’s license?

    Yes. Candidates without a current driver’s license and automobile insurance are ineligible to provide direct care services because the ability to drive is especially critical in responding to an emergency. All DSP’s must provide a DMV transcript of driving history at every license renewal, too, to ensure a safe driving record is maintained.

  • How long will I be a DSP? Is it “for life”?

    That depends on you, and on the desires of the individual receiving your Sponsored Residential services! The individual has the option to select another services provider, and you have the option to end your DSP term. Many individual who come to HALOBHID seeking Sponsored Residential services have moved often and are looking for more stable arrangement. We hope that those we certify as DSP’s are also looking for something long-term, to provide that kind of stability.

  • If an individual moves in with me and doesn’t work out, am I obligate to continue providing services for the duration of the contract?

    Your Residential Coordinator (RC) is your best resource once you become a DSP. The RC needs to know of any problems right away, so we can work with you and with the individual receiving services to come up with a solution to the problem. Our goal is to make a compatible match between individuals and their DSP’s. We will continue to work just as hard once the match is made to help both of you transition smoothly into your new situation. Nevertheless if, after time and an investment of such efforts, the individual chooses to select another services provider, or you determine that the match is not right for you, arrangements can be made to terminate the relationship. If an individual is having any challenges in a particular location, we look first to make changes in the environment, training of the DSP and staff and adding more supports form various sources as needed. We are not in the business of moving people to “fix” the problem.

  • How will I be monitored? Will I receive visits from government agencies involved, or form HALBHID? Will they be announced or unannounced, and how frequent are they?

    Locations certified to provide Sponsored Residential services are regularly monitored by HALOBHID and by the Virginia Office of Licensing, which is part of the Department of Behavior Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS), and also by the funding-source agencies. HALOBHID monitors our location to ensure compliance with regulation so that these audits by licensing & funding agencies are successful. Visits are both announced and unannounced. HALOBHID visits DSP locations monthly. Visits by licensing & funding agencies are random.

  • Is this a 24-7 arrangement? Can I take breaks or vacations? How does that work?

    An individual receiving services at a Sponsored residential location basically becomes like a part of the your family. The Sponsored location is the individuals home, and while direct care services are not necessarily provided around the clock (unless the individual’s plan specifically require it); the DSP and the Sponsored individual live together in community full-time. If you invite the sponsored individual to join your family on trip or vacation, and the individual is physically able to do so, the individual may choose to accept your invitation but, as the DSP, must guarantee continuity of services during the trip. DSP are require to recruit their own Staff (who are also trained and certified by HALOBHID). If the Sponsored individual chooses not to join you on vacation the individual may receive continued services at your location from a certified Staff while you are absent.

  • I like to travel a lot. Could a sponsored individual go with? Do I need permission?

    If you invite the Sponsored individual to join your family on trips or vacations, and the individual is physically able to do so, the individual may choose to accept your invitation but you, as the DSP, must guarantee continuity of services during the trip. If the Sponsored individual chooses not to join you on vacation (if invited), the individual may receive continues services at your home from certified Staff while you are absent. Consider that the individual receiving services in your home may have had limited opportunity for travel prior to living with you, and the exposure to new places and experiences will likely be an enrichment to their lives.